Location: Thrissur District shares boundary with Ernakulam and Idukki district in the south, Palakkad district in the east and north, Malappuram district in the north and Arabian sea in the west.
District Headquarter: Thrissur
Distance: 478 km from Bangalore, 2515 from Delhi, 318 from Mysore, 367 from Mangalore, 303 from Madurai, 2281 km from Kolkata, 1017 from Hyderabad, 602 km from Chennai
Journey time: 10 – 12 hours from Bangalore
How to reach there: By Train, KSRTC bus, KSTC bus and private vehicle
1. Bangalore – Krishnagiri – Salem – Coimbatore – Palakkad – Thrissur (478 km)
2. Bangalore – Mysore – Gundulpet – Sultan’s Battery – Calicut – Edapal – Kunnamkulam – Trissur (520 km)
3. Bangalore – Mysore – Gudlepet – Gudalur – Nilambur – Shornur-Thrissur (420 km)
Where to stay:
1. Trichur Towers,
T.B. Road, Thrissur 680 021
Phone: +91 487 425290
Fax: +91 487 425390
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Love Shore Inn
Opp.Railway Station, Poothole, Thrissur
Phone : +91 487 2386606, 2386616
Fax : +91 487 2383707
E-mail : email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Hotel Elite International,
Chembottil Lane, Thrissur, Kerala
Phone: +91 487 2421033
Fax: +91 487 2442057
E-mail : email@example.com
4. Kadappuram Beach Resorts,
Nattika Beach, Thrissur, Kerala
Phone: +91 487 2394988
Fax: +91 487 2394988
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Kadappuram@sancharnet.in
5. Tamarind KTDC Easy Hotel
Near Indoor Stadium, Thrissur 650 020, Kerala
Phone: +91 487 2332333, 2332122
6. National Tourist Home,
MG Road, Thrissur, Kerala
Phone: +91 487 3954447, 2424543, 2441961, 244151
7. Nilayoram Resorts,
Painkulam PO, Cheruturuthy, Thrissur 679 531, Kerala
Phone: +91 487 2384788, +91 4884 262788-9
8. Hotel Palace Tower,
Near North Bus stand,Thrissur-680 020, Kerala
Phone: +91 487 2331666, 2338334
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Where to eat:
1. Hotel Bharath (Veg)
2. Hotel Palace Tower
North Bus Stand
Cemetery Road, Thrissur, Kerala
4. Essan Restaurant
High Rd, Thrissur
5. Mothimahal Multi Cuisine Restaurant
M. G Rd, Nr. Overbridge, Thrissur
6. Mayura Residency
7. Ming Palace Chinese Restaurant
Language spoken: Malayalam and English
Thrissur district has come into being in July 1, 1949. The district headquarter also by the name Thrissur is known as the cultural capital of Kerela. One can find there bountiful of temples, mosques and churches. Thrissur in Malayalam means the city of Lord Shiva. It was earlier ruled by the Chera Empire of the present Tamil Nadu.Thrissur is famous for many festival and prominent among them is Pooram festival. The first church and Masjid was built here.
What to See:
1. Athirapilly Water Falls: Athirappilly Falls is formed by Chalakudy river falling from a height of 80 feet. It is located 60 km from Thrissur, 70 km from Cochin and 30 km from Chalakudy town. Around 5 km from here you can see Vazhachal falls. This area is full of wildlife and green forest. It is better to visit during day as during night roads are also used wild animals. Best time to visit is in between June and October.
Nearby two amusement parks are located – DreamWorld and SilverStorm. Many Tamil movies and one song of Hindi movie Guru was shot here.
2. Punnathur Kotta Elephant Sanctuary: It is located around 23 km from Thrissur city and is a elephant park. Punnathurkotta used to be a palace of a king but now houses elephants of Guruvayur Krishna temple. Located around 3 km from Guruvayur temple, it houses around 55 elephants now.
visiting hours: 9.30AM to 5.30PM
Entry fees : Rs. 5 per adult
Camera fees: Rs 25
3. Peechi Dam: Peechi Dam is built on Manali river around 15 km from Thrissur city. It is good picnic spot and one can go boating the reservoir. Around this area is the Peechi Wildlife Sanctuary formed in 1958. If you are lucky you can spot wildlife like elephants.
4. Chavakad Beach: Chavakad is a popular and beautiful beach located around 4 km from Guruvayur town. One can bask in coconut lagoons, virgin blue waters and a clean beach. One can see a confluence of river here.
5. Vazhani Dam: Vazhani Dam built on Vadakkancherry puzha in 1962 is located around 23 km from Thrissur city and is the biggest clay dam in Kerela. It is a popular tourist destination for its amazing garden.
6. Chimmony dam: Chimmony is built on Chimmony river in Chimmony Wildlife Sanctuary. It is located around 40 km away from Thrissur city in Mukundapuram taluk and was established in 1984. The heighest peak here is Punda peak rising more than 1000 feet. On its periphery are Peechi-Vazhani Wildlife Sanctuary and Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary. One a see various kinds of flora and fauna here in the evergreen and semi evergreen forests. One can halt at the Inspection Bungalow by obtaining permission from the warden, Peechi Wildlife Division.
7. Kerala Kalamandalam: Kerala Kalamandalam is a training center of various art and culture and now deemed as an university. It was formed in 1930 by some of the most renowned artists of that time.
8. koodalmanikam temple: It is a very old temple with historical references dating as back as 854 A.D. It is a beautiful architecture and deity here is Lord Sangameswara.
9. Guruvayur Krishna Temple: Guruvayur Temple is located around 29 km from Thrissur city. This is one of the most important temple in Kerela and the deity here is Lord Guruvayurappan in the form of Balagopalan. If you would like you can stay there.
One can view some other temples like Vadakumnathan temple, Paramekkavu temple, Thiruvambadi Sri-Krishna temple, Poonkunnam Shiva Temple etc.
10: Sakthan palace: It was built by the then king of Cochin state Ramavarma Thampuran in 1795 in Anglo – Dutch style.
11. Museum and Zoo:
Visiting hours : 10am to 5pm and on Wednesdays upto 1pm.
Entrance fee : Adults – Rs. 5, Children – Rs. 3 (upto 14 yrs.)
Still Camera : Rs. 5, Video Camera – Rs. 500. Open on all work days except Mondays, from 10 a.m. to 6:30p.m
12: Vilangankunnu or Vilangan Hills: It is a nice amusement and leisure park maintained by the Kerela tourism department. This 50 acre park is located around 5 km from Thrissur city.
- Malappuram District, Kerela
- Kottayam District, Kerela
- Palakkad District, Kerela
- Kasaragod District, Kerela
- Kozhikode(Calicut) District, Kerela